Very rarely do we take the opportunity to sit and appreciate the magnitude of events which will later be viewed as turning points in the course of history. Today marks one of those days.
During the entire 2008 presidential campaign, I have done a pretty good job at examining the issues and all candidates objectively - difficult as it may have been to set aside my natural inclination to be ECSTATIC at the unique opportunity which currently presents itself.
The United States of America is less than 24 hours away from having its first Black President!
Some may say that it marks the culmination of the Black community's struggle for civil rights, which kicked into high gear just a few decades ago.
Some may be amazed that we've come so far in only a half-a-century, from the back of the bus, to leading (arguably) the most powerful nation in the world.
Others will say "It's been a long time coming!" and say that the universe is simply righting itself, as we are beginning the process of returning to the prominence which was robbed of our ancestors centuries ago. It's in our bloodline to be rulers. Black people in this country have come from the lowest of the lows, through the ranks, literally beaten and bruised at EVERY step along the way, to assume the post which we were preordained by to hold:
Kings.
How ironic, that it would be a King which prophesied about this...
Although this will be a monumental win, the struggle will not be over tomorrow. The racial tension surrounding this day has been so thick, that it's made even ME uncomfortable. It is undeniable that some people in this country simply do not want a Black man as their president. Even if, deep in their hearts, they know that he is the better man for the job, they will vote against him just for the simple fact that he is a Black man.
It is this type of person which makes me nervous about a victory. I will not even speak of why, but I am sure that it is a thought which has crossed every voter's mind at least once. If I feel the tension bearing down upon me this tough, I cannot even imagine what Mr. Obama feels right now. He has the weight of the universe on his shoulders, the expectations of history on his back, and Lord knows what on his mind. I feel that this is the perfect opportunity to show some unity as a nation, Black, White, and Everyone Else, and put him on OUR backs by showing our support.
History has already been written. No matter what happens from this point on, we have all been witnesses to considerable events in the course of the USA and of the world. This election has far-reaching implications, and will hopefully serve as motivation for a generation of downtrodden, misguided, and misunderstood minority youth.
Anyway, I just want everyone to step back and appreciate the magnitude of this day. I was overwhelmed by a swelling of pride yesterday...so much that I did not know how to express it. This is my attempt.
Tuesday, November 4, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
respect.
((lmao, couldnt resist))
nah, i can dig it.
"This election has far-reaching implications, and will hopefully serve as motivation for a generation of downtrodden, misguided, and misunderstood minority youth."
Very well said. *Sitting back to wait for the results. (May God help us all.)
http://awesomenessinc.wordpress.com/2008/11/04/random-thought-time-election-edition/
A certain type of white people will go crazy if they let Obama become president. That's the part of America I don't want to be in.
And I agree that no matter the outcome, history has already been made. I wonder what types of people the candidates will be next time. There might be more "minorities" running than whiteys!
www.jermil.com
Post a Comment